Saturday, April 10, 2010

What a ride!

Two weeks ago Ashley and I decided to get our kids together and take them to Zilker for a picnic and a train ride. If you know anything about the last few months around this house you know that I haven't gotten out much by myself with all three kiddos. Many times Jay has the "big" car for work and I don't have room for the carseats in mine AND often times I am just not up for the craziness that is involved in trying to get somewhere and keep everyone happy.
Let me just say I had already taken them to a birthday party a couple of days before so I was pretty proud of myself for that and the fact that I was going to attempt to go for a train ride with the kids had my chest all puffed up too. Of course there was nothing simple about this excursion....
2 hours in a nutshell
1. Night before Jay gives Harper soy formula (I was gone) which leads to major puke.
2. After H. sleeps all night without getting sick I feel she is good to go ride the train.
3. Run around the house acting very short and demanding that the "big kids" use the bathroom and attempt to get dressed.
4. Throw together two lunches and forget that I need lunch too..grab a protein bar for myself
5. Start to feel good about making it on time to eat and catch the 12:00 train..!
6. Start loading H. up and she has projectile vomit incident again. All over her, her car seat, my shirt and arms.
7. Tell the "big kids" we probably shouldn't go because H. is sick.
8. Listen to two very upset and whiney kids that don't understand why we wouldn't ride the train that we have been talking about all morning.
9. Call Ashley and tell her what's up and that I am not sure I am going to do.
10. Called Jay to see if there is any chance he can take H. to the Dr. while I take the others to the train..Not a chance..
11. Wipe of my shirt, change H.,throw a dishtowel in the carseat and load um' up
12. Stroll at a two year old pace across the parking lot, through the playground and to the picnic tables..It seemed like it took 20 minutes and lots of "lets go guys" to get there. I started thinking I need a leash and a front and back carrier.
13. Meet up with our friends, eat a bite and off to the train.
14. All the kids did great on the train ride!
15. After a little strolling around the park I decide we should leave before someone needs to potty or nurse.
16. This trip really does take 20 minutes to get to the car. Em doesn't want to walk. She sits in the walkway, throws her sippy around, kicks it, sits on it, you name it. I pretend to leave her..she doesn't care. I normally would go pick her up and take her to the car but I have Harper strapped to me. Get her to the car(Which smells oh so bad..remember the carseat and dishtowel). Em is throwing a fit saying poo poo and grabing herself but there is no room in the car anywhere for me to change her. So I strapped her in and said "we will be home soon".
17. Cohen proceeds to throw a loud fit because Emery is "screaming to loud"!
18. Mommy screams too! And proceeds to tell three young children that "this is why we don't get out much".
19. Crying crying crying all the way home..
20. Rush in to change a diaper (I feel really bad for makeing her sit in it mostly because she gets a diaper rash very quickly)
21. She is not dirty...she so knows how to play me already..
22. Totally exhausted children don't want to take a nap of course..

Soo if I could erase the trip back to the car it really would have been mostly smooth and fun(even with throw up and some whining)..and now I think we all remember the drama of leaving the park more than we remember the fun part of actually spending time with our friends. Anywho..that is a trip out on the town for us;) We will have to try it again!





The girls are hanging on to their tickets for dear life.

3 comments:

Briana said...

Bless you! Not only for taking on the joyful burden of being a mom, but for taking the whole act on the road! I have a similair incident from when Clair was a H's age. Only losing it towards the end is pretty darn good.

Tanya said...

Oh, Girl! I hear ya. I totally understand. I have to get up courage every day to TRY to do something with the kiddos other than being indoors. I have no tried to prepare for the worst, that way anything that happens is expected and I just roll with it:)

Brandye said...

This made me laugh . . . and sorry for that! I have SO been there with my three. Sometimes the "trying to make a memory" moments are the worst!