For those of you that I don't get a chance to bore with our day to day activities....we purchased a 1989 Jeep Grande Wagoneer the day before Emery was born on Ebay. I need something bigger than the Jetta to haul the kids and the double stroller around, I have always thought the "woody" was cool, and we would avoid having a car payment.
So anyway..I said "yeah that would be fun" (we haven't taken it out yet because we put it in the shop to "make sure it is reliable"). I then said "watch us break down"! So off we go....Since we had all the time in the world we decided to pull it through a car wash and then we would drive by our old house. We pulled into the car wash and I asked Jay to turn the car off. (this thing gets about 12 miles to the gallon) We got dripped on a little during the wash but other than that everything went as it should. Then it was time to move and it wouldn't start...This was a beautiful day and there was a line of cars behind us. Jay got out to push it and the next person's wash started. Jay jumped back in and then the arm of the wash got stuck on the jeep and we had soap on the back end. He got it out of the wash and then it wouldn't work for the people behind us....ugh. So we call his dad and he figures out exactly what to do once he gets there and we figure it was something that wouldn't happen again. Meanwhile Lana is back home trying to eat and feed the two babies.
So we drive through the old hood, talk to an old neighbor and then head north! As we approach the North Mopac overpass the car starts dying and thank God we were able to veer over and avoid getting on that. Jay has to floor it to make it go about 30 mp hour but as we get to Westgate the car starts running great again. We get abitious and go ahead and try to go to Hula Hut instead of taking it home... But....then it gets stuck at a light in the South Lamar 360 intersection. I meantion that because those of you who know the area know how confusing it is! Jay hops out and does some trick his dad showed him and I hop into the drivers seat to rev the engine. (Jay tells me later that all he could think about was how he would never know what happened if someone didn't see us and hit us from behind) How horrible is that? Anyway, the trick didn't work! A guy behind us offered to push us up the hill towards the old Trudys. So with no power steering the guy somehow pushes "Marge" the beast and we turned the corner in a way that I would prefer to never turn again. Once again thank God that no one was in the oncoming traffic because there was no room for them and I swear we were almost on two wheels. Just a side note here...While all of this was stressful and a bit annoying I have to say I even thought it was fairly amusing while we were in it! Afterall, we didn't have the kids and Jay's dad was around to save us! So Jay made another phone call to Lon just as he was about to attempt to eat his cold dinner and he headed our way..with our confusing directions that ended with "we are up on the hill on your right". They got it started and Lon jumps in with me and Jay follows in his truck. In order to keep it running Lon has to put the car in neutral and rev the engine every time we need to slow down or stop so everyone thinks we want to race...! Jay pulls up beside us at a light to ask how it's going and after much reving this kid at the bus stop gets excited and asks "are yall racin". I responded with a very ebarrased horizontal shaking of the head and off we raced! Well we finally made it home 3 hours after we left the house. By then I needed to feed Emery so I did that and then jumped in the TRUCK and headed out for date night.....We ended up at Abuelos because we probably wouldn't have been served at Hula Hut until 10 if we were lucky and we couldn't see the lake anyway(it was dark by now). So maybe next time we will make it to the Hut for our nice relaxing kid free dinner on the lake! I don't know if I want to take Marge for that one. I just happened to have my little camera to capture a couple of these lovely moments! The grin on Jays face is only because he was slightly amused that one of my first thought was "this is good blogging material".




5 comments:
O-My-Gosh!!! That is terrible! The car does look very cute, though. :-)
What a cute and apparently obstinate car. :)
I love the car! And this is a classic story, I think in a few weeks, months (years???) that Jay will probably think it's funny too!
Joe and I have had a "date" like that before we were married. It included a flat tire and being stranded with a dead sea-doo in the middle of a lake for several hours. Joe didn't laugh then, but I think he'll at least smile about it now! I'm glad you were able to keep your sense of humor about it.
oh my word, that was the funniest story. So much for date night huh?! I love Jay's face with that small grin "just take the picture so you can blog about it to your friends!" Hey this was GREAT blogging material.
Post a Comment